My husband brought home a pizza stone last night. I love pizza. Doesn’t everyone? Pizza and paleo though? An oxymoron. I had heard of people making paleo pizza with cauliflower, but all the recipes I had viewed seemed to use cheese. I wanted a dairy free version. So tonight I experimented with my first ever paleo pizza recipe. Everyone has their own set of crucial ingredients when it comes to pizza. Mine are pineapple and mushrooms. Mushrooms were off the menu apparently as they had somehow fallen off the weekly shopping list. So I made do with what I had. And accepted the fact that this probably wasn’t going to taste much like pizza at all, but would allow me to try something new and make use of the new pizza stone.
Then I put it into the food processor with the standard blade attachment, and processed until rice grain-sized.
Then I placed the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl, placed it in the microwave and zapped it for 3 minutes, stirred, then zapped for another 3 minutes. Next I added 2 eggs, stirred through until well combined. I seasoned with salt, pepper and some garlic powder (minced fresh garlic would work fine too).
I spooned some of the mixture onto the baking paper, into the centre of the stone. About 1 1/2 cups will make a good-sized pizza, but whatever size you like really! Then, using the back of a dessert spoon, push and smooth the mixture out into a circle.
Bake in the oven for about 20 mins until browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and top with your favourite pizza ingredients.
Remove from oven, slice, and enjoy with a side salad.
Makes 2 medium-sized pizzas
1/2 head cauliflower
1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Roughly chop the cauliflower into florets. Place them into a food processor with a standard blade, and process the cauliflower until the pieces are about the size of a grain of rice.
- Place the processed cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for about 6 minutes, until tender. It is a good idea to stir the mixture halfway through the microwave time.
- Mix 2 eggs into the cauliflower and stir through until well combined. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder (minced garlic would work fine too).
- Line the pizza stone with some baking paper. Spoon 1 1/2 cups of the mixture onto the baking paper, into the centre of the stone. Using the back of a dessert spoon, push and smooth the mixture out into a circle.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 mins until browned around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and top with your favourite pizza ingredients. Then place back into the oven for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, slice and serve.